In healthcare the terms “balanced scorecard” and “dashboard” are used to describe performance measurement tools that are both broad in scope and yet summarized in a few key indicators. In this assignment you will create a specific dashboard for an operating unit of a healthcare organization.
- Select and describe a specific healthcare operating unit. Examples are an emergency department, surgical service, specific nursing unit, or physician’s office practice. Select a type of healthcare service you are familiar with.
- Locate at least three recent (within the past 4 years) journal articles from professional and peer reviewed journals that discuss dashboard, balanced scorecard, or performance measurement. Write a brief review of the articles and give complete citations.
- Based on the literature review and your knowledge of the unit, create four categories of measurement. They must include both clinical and financial categories. Describe the categories and write a justification for each.
- For each category, create at least three specific performance measures. For each measure, describe how it is calculated and where the data is found.
- Explain how the performance measures may change if the unit of analysis is the organization as a whole, and not the specific operating unit.